****This post includes a lip scrub DIY recipe- thank me later! 😉 ****
My last skin care post focused on keeping your skin hydrated during the winter. I failed to mention the importance of keeping your lips hydrated during the winter. Chapped lips are no fun. Not only are they uncomfortable but they also make applying your lipstick a living nightmare (especially if you decide to go matte.)
Blobbing on chapstick on after chapstick is not the solution. Taking care of your lips is the solution. Caring for our lips is always overlooked but truth is our lips need some loving too!
Exfoliating your lips is the best way to show them some love. The skin on our lips is super thin which makes it easier to lose hydration. When you exfoliate your lips you remove all the dead skin cells, which leave lips feeling softer, smoother, and in a better condition to absorb any products you wish to apply.
I personally exfoliate my lips two times a week and that’s what works for me. I am no beauty expert or doctor but I do know over exfoliating can cause damage to your lips. Everyone is different and once you try it out you’ll be able to decide what works best for you!
Why I’m obsessed with exfoliating my lips?
The instant lip filler effect! duhhhh!
I always wanted bigger and plumper lips but no way would I ever turn to lip fillers. This is because the motion of scrubbing cause a production of collagen making your lips look fuller. This is the quickest and safest way to make your lips appear bigger.
(*Tip- exfoliate before applying Too Faced Deluxe Lip Injection Extreme and I guarantee you will be super satisfied with the appearance of your lips!)
Brown Sugar Lip Scrub
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp vitamin e oil
- 1 drop rosehip seed oil
Mix brown sugar, honey, olive oil and vitamin e oil in a bowl. Apply mixture to a toothbrush and scrub your lips. Then massage them with the toothbrush in a circular motion. Rinse the scrub off your lips with warm water and pat dry. Using your finger pat 1-2 drops of rosehip seed oil on your lips. This gives your lips a shinny effect as if your wearing clear gloss which I love when I’m not in the mood for lipstick. If I plan on wearing lipstick following exfoliation, I usually skip the rosehip seed oil and just apply some lip balm.
Why I selected the ingredients above?
- Brown sugar is commonly used in skin care products because it helps remove dead skin and toxics from lip product build up.
- Honey also does a great job getting rid of dead skin and can help soften the appearance of wrinkles. (That’s great because I hate when my lips look wrinkly when I wear dark colors)
- Extra virgin olive oil is what helps the skin preserve water while exfoliating. It keeps your lips hydrated and moisturized.
- Vitamin e oil helps prevent aging skin and soothes chapped lips. It also repairs any skin cell damage during the exfoliation process.
- Rosehip seed oil is my favorite beauty essential. I find a reason to use it in every beauty tip because it’s that great! It gives your lips a little extra hydration, firmness and glow.
Hope you enjoyed this beauty DIY. I have a video on my Instagram that shows exactly how to apply the scrub! Let me know what you think about the lip scrub. I would love to hear from you all!